Monday, January 31, 2011

Blog Post

Dear Class,

Thank you all for listening to me blast off on Gloria Anzaldua. This is the place you will post your blog comments on "How to tame a wild tongue"

This is the link for it
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B7bTqJGk6-2PYmQ5MTBiNzAtOGNjOS00MTE5LWEyNzYtODMxMmY1OTg3MWQz&hl=en&authkey=CK2s4MsN

Comment on anything. Comment on points I said in class. Comment on article main points. Talk about language, talk about food, anything. Read the article and post here by Monday.

Thank you,
Lady Mariposa

7 comments:

  1. What I liked about this article was that in comparison to David Bartholomae she has opposite thoughts. According to Anzaldua the way you speak is how you're identified. in the other article you had to write at a higher level to meet standards. Here ANzaldua has a diverse point of view that is probably agreed by many, you cna speak the way you want to express what you want. This way people know you by how you are not by making up some writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How do you tame a wild tongue, train it to be quiet...", by stating this Anzaldua makes us realize that we can't control the way we talk. We all come from different places and there is no shame in how we were brought up. We talk the way we do as an instinct and we don't pretend to talk like someone we are not. Language identifes us different from others. How boring would it be if we all spoke the same? As we grow up we are taught to write a specific way in which we are supposed to use properly yet, when writing it sounds nothing like us. I enjoyed reading this article and agree to what she says that the way we speak is the way we are identified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really enjoyed reading this article and really related to it, i completely agree with what Anzaldua was stating in her article "how do you tame a wild tongue". I believe we should be able to write in our own voices, sharing our own thoughts, feelings, memories, and opinions. why should we all have to write in a monotone boring way? in a way that people cant relate to us or get to know our own unique thoughts or ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reflection stands in front of her,
    Who is she?
    When the sun, the air, the water, the rain, the ocean, the people, see her they see a girl.
    A girl with the dark brown eyes, dark black hair, brown freckles surrounding her face.
    What does she see?
    Her roots,
    She sees the fridge, the stove, the oven, the sink, the washer, the dryer
    Sunshine till sun down
    Only her eyes speak for her voice can not.
    She is not the alpha male.
    She is the brown freckle.
    The seed. the roots. the branch, the tree
    She is the tree
    Layers upon layers of individuality shapes her outer skin
    She is rough, tough, and she stands up strong,
    She is a tree.
    Take away her years
    Before she fended for water, light, air
    And underneath you see her roots.
    She grows higher up, and further wide, but her roots stay buried underneath,
    She is ashamed of her creation
    She is the brown tree.
    When the sun, the air, the water, the rain, the ocean, the people, see her they see a tree.
    They know she is brown, though her roots are buried in the ground.
    She is a tree,
    She is me,
    I’m the girl with the dark brown eyes, dark black hair, brown freckles surrounding my face
    I am brown, my roots created me, but I am what you see.
    I molded and created what you can see,
    I am me.

    The article written my Gloria Anzaldua was inspirational for many. Gloria Anzaldua expressed her identity through her work. The Article “How to tame a wild tongue” is a very versatile piece. It motivates writers to express themselves, and teach themselves how to become a voice in the academic community by using real experiences, and real journeys in life. Gloria uses foreign language, identity, ethnicity, and race all through her text, but what sets her different, what makes her pronounce is the way she wrote it. Gloria against all odds articulated her being by becoming something of herself. Gloria Anzaldua didn’t follow the regulated pattern of typical composition structuring, Gloria instead wrote how ever she felt was right, why write an introduction, then a body, and then finally a conclusion? What amazes many, was that when the article was written no ivy league institution would have agreed with Gloria’s structuring and formatting, much yet they would have never accepted or appreciated the foreign language. Gloria Anzaldua set a standard, a standard that any individual no matter, the color of your skin, your background, or your sex can be just as much of a writer as an Anglo who graduated from Harvard law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is very interesting that Gloria Anzaldua simply just doesn’t want to follow rules or guidelines in writing. She writes in her own way, which I believe is great to do because it makes it makes your writing your own. It makes it distinguishable. Gloria ignores writing structure that we are taught, and does her own thing. Her writing is truly unique and I have never read anything like it. The only time I have heard something similar, is in person not in actual writing. By speaking in her own way, it makes her voice come alive in her writing which I like. I like the whole bilingual thing she does in her writing, because I can relate to it, that’s how I sometimes speak to people. After reading this, it makes me want to write very similar, use all the same terms or words that I would when I talk, and not write certain things in my writing just to make it ok for someone else to read. She has inspired me to pretty much write as I were speaking, and to not speak or write a certain way just because I want them to understand, I have to get my voice out in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We're going to have to control your tongue",the dentist said. I understand this sentence as the dentist being the world and your tongue being what the world views you as.The world is a 400 pound bag that you carry on your back,barefoot as you run up a tall tall mountain. Your tongue is how you look,where you were born,the language you speak,and the culture your from.Gloria Anzaldua threw the heavy bag off her back,put her shoes on,raised her middle finger up in the air and said "f*ck what the world wants me to sound like.I'm not giving you my tongue"!WOW talk about wild huh.........

    When i was little about six years old i remember my dad snorting snow with five of his best friends in our living room."dad can you take me to the park"? i would cry out with tears in my eyes."Go away"!!!!!my dad would shout at me with red angry eyes.I was not heard.

    I'm eight years old.While my dad was in the north working hard to send me and my little brothers money,my mom would bring other men home."Mom whose that?when is dad coming back?im hungry,can you make me food?"GO AWAY" my mom would shout at me.I was not heard.

    I'm ten years old.I had no other choice but to keep bothering my neighbors day after day for any little food they could give me.My dad had'nt come back and my mom was still in her room with a man i didnt recognize."can i please stay for dinner?"i would ask rosa,my neighbor."i'm sorry but not today"she would calmly tell me as she shut her front door.I was not helped.

    From the time i was 5 to about 17 years old i had no idea that my voice mattered or was of any importance to anyone or anything.I admire Gloria for sticking to her roots and telling the world "i dont care what you want me to sound like!im sticking to the voice inside me!"

    READING HOW TO TAME A WILD TONGUE MADE ME:
    ...WANT TO EAT TAMALES
    ...WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH
    ...WANT TO DRINK KOOL-AID
    ...WANT TO GET A TATTOO
    ...WANT TO HUG MY GRANDMA
    ...WANT TO RUN UP A MOUNTAIN!!BAREFOOT!!
    YEAH RIGHT.............

    I AM PROUD TO BE MEXICAN AMERICAN!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "How to Tame a Wild Tongue" was a very inspiring article because I had never heard a person be so proud of where they come from. Anzaldua really motivated me in writting because now I know that an educated person thinks like me in the way that we should get to write however we want as long we sound like us but in a educated way. Gloria doesn't really have expectations because she just writes her thoughts and beliefs, I really enjoyed reading this article because I could tell that she wrote it by what she beliefs and she was able to prove it.

    ReplyDelete